Rice is not only a faithful companion to a balanced and healthy lifestyle, it can also help you lose weight.
So much so that it represents the main ingredient of rice dieta real weight loss program formulated in 1939 by American physician Walter Kepmner.
Lately, the idea has been revived by dietitian Kitty Gurkin Rosati in her book The Rice Diet Solution, which translates from English to sounds like “The Rice Diet Solution.”
rice diet for weight loss
Several varieties of rice are particularly low in fat and contain many valuable complex carbohydrates.
These are processed more slowly and therefore give a prolonged feeling of satiety over time. Rice also contains B vitamins, minerals, protein and does not contain gluten. Helps to counter the high cholesterol.
Moreover, the rice for weight loss it has an astringent effect, so you will quickly see results when you start a diet based on it food.
Below we present to you rice diet:
How the Rice Diet Works
According to the official book, the diet works by focusing on limiting foods high in salt and sodium.
It helps yours body to deflate and lose excess weight. It seems to allow you to lose weight in 2 weeks and that with consistency it can even lead you to lose 15 pounds.
The diet also limits saturated fat and almost all dairy products.
rice makes you fat? Of course not! And in the diet, you can eat white or brown rice, as long as it does not contain salt or fat.
The original program includes the white (which at the time was more readily available, but keep in mind that the whole version is unprocessed and is a whole grain with more fiber and nutrients.
In addition to properties of rice (don’t forget that the rice is a carbohydrate) the diet to lose weight it also provides a large amount of carbohydrates found in fruits, vegetables, grains and beans.
The rice diet for vegetarians (and not only!) is part of the so-called mono diets (and also extreme diets…), because it is centered on a single food. A strict diet involves three 60g servings of rice per day.
But after a few days, vegetables, fruits, lean meats and fish can return to the menu.
There’s a three-step calorie count, which helps you control portions and balance your diet so you have the freedom to eat whatever you want in moderation.
The first phase involves a low daily calorie intake, equal to about 800 calories.
In the second phase, 1000 calories can be consumed. This continues until the desired weight is reached.
At this point they increase a little rice caloriescontinuing with vegetables, fruits and cereals.
Like most weight loss diets, rice diets also focus on lifestyle changes.
It requires you to keep a food diary and explore your relationship with food, your body, and yourself through meditation, self-awareness, and diet.
Effectiveness of the rice diet
It is a fact that if you drastically reduce theCalorie intake in your diet, consuming plenty of vegetables and total protein lean, you have a very good chance of to lose weight.
However, don’t overdo it or risk frustrating the results.
Also keep in mind that there are no perfect instructions for a rice diet. It is important to always cook with fresh and healthy ingredients and to follow a balanced diet.
You should not be hungry and you should not neglect to take vitamins and minerals. It’s the only way to get long-term positive results, stay healthy, and enjoy food.
The importance of chewing for a long time
By its nature, rice needs to be chewed longer and more vigorously than, for example, bread.
Therefore, this food remains longer in the mouth, is automatically consumed more slowly and the amount of food ingested decreases before the satiety effect occurs.
This is why rice is ideal in a diet aimed at losing weight compared to other ingredients that still give a feeling of satiety.
The variety of basic recipes of diet rice and low calorie is almost endless.
For example, you can make delicious salads with boiled rice. Or how about stir-fried rice in a wok pan? With rice-based recipes, you won’t even know it’s a diet!
A program based on rice consumption can be developed in different ways. Here is an example:
- for breakfast you can have a bowl of fresh blueberries. It’s a fruit low calorie that contains many healthy vitamins.
- as a mid-morning snack, a portion of yogurt rice cakes is perfect
- for lunch you can prepare a plentiful one portion of rice with mushrooms and broccoli
- in the evening you can bring to the table a rice omelette cooked in a non-stick pan (strictly without adding fat)
You can find on the web several proposals for rice diet: weekly schedule.
- Lentil rice with peas and green asparagus (435 kcal)
A dish full of vegetables which helps to eliminate the feeling of hunger for a long time.
- 275g brown rice (which is the best rice for diet)
- 160 g jarred lentils
- 500g green asparagus
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 200g peas (frozen or fresh)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- Cook the brown rice and let it sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the lentils
- Prepare the asparagus by removing the woody ends, then cut them into small pieces. Brown them for a few minutes with the onion and peas
- Mix lentils, basil and rice. Serve hot
You can add a red bell pepper for some extra vitamins and minerals.
- Thai Spicy Chicken Soup (425 kcal)
This recipe is not only rich in vegetables, but it is also very tasty!
Thanks to the lean chicken breast (or shrimp if you like fish and seafood), it also packs a little more protein than most other low-calorie recipes.
It’s perfect after you’ve just worked out.
- 250g brown rice
- 1 liter of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 200ml coconut milk
- a small piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh lemongrass, crushed
- 150g carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3 spring onions, cut into 3cm pieces
- 250g thinly sliced chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley
- Cook the rice in the chicken broth, without letting it absorb completely. It must be like soup
- Add the curry paste, coconut milk, ginger root and lemongrass and let infuse for 5 minutes
- Peel the carrot and cut it diagonally. Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut them into strips. Then add the carrot, bell pepper, spring onion and chicken slices to the rice and simmer the soup for ten minutes.
- Remove the slices of ginger and lemongrass and serve the soup sprinkled with cilantro or parsley
What to consider in the rice diet
What should be considered in the rice diet?
- the energy needed comes from carbohydrates
- try to follow a healthy and balanced diet to avoid deficiencies
- low protein can shrink your muscles
- use fresh ingredients to cook
- the diet can quickly become monotonous, knowing how to vary is very important
Effects of the rice diet in the short and long term
As you consume very few kilocalories in the first phase, you probably consume more than you ingest: you lose weight. This is a great method if you don’t know how to deflate the belly.
But it is a very strict diet where on the whole we eat little.
This is especially true at the beginning, although it is permissible to make the rice tasty with some aromatic herbs or with a low salt broth.
This is why it is difficult to follow. And especially if you like to go out to dinner with friends, you will constantly find yourself consuming too many calories.
So yes it is. diet that works if you want to lose weight, but it’s not for everyone.
If you are looking for a diet to lose weight, the rice diet allows you to achieve quick results thanks to a drastic reduction in calorie consumption.
And seeing the results, you are encouraged to continue.
However, this is a so-called emergency diet that works in the short term, but is not really suitable for long-term weight loss because it can compromise balanced nutritional intake.
Rice as food: varieties, benefits and contraindications – Farmacia Ciato – https://farmaciaciato.it/il-riso-benefici-e-controindicali/
Effects of Brown Rice Diet on Type 2 Diabetes Patients – PubMed – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27253526/
Brown rice: nutritional properties, benefits and contraindications – Humanitas – https://www.humanitas.it/encyclopedia/alimenti/cereali/riso-integrale/
Brown rice, a diet rich in beneficial properties for health – PubMed – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31619639/
The Traditional Japanese Diet as a Modern Life Lesson – Nature – https://www.nature.com/articles/d42859-021-00062-7
Genetically modified rice to fight food shortages – Nature – https://www.nature.com/articles/35054702